I can remember in 2008 (yes, I am going to get year specific here) when gladiator sandals were starting to merge onto the scene. My initial thoughts were, ‘guuuuurlllll you goin’ to a toga party?’ (Because that is completely how I articulate my thoughts). I was too judgmental. Like any new trend, we evaluate the lasting power. Who knew with the skinny jeans? Bootleg jeans are now the new mom jeans, and mom jeans are the new Topshop best seller! Gladiator sandals can be subtle or “in ya FACE.” These sandals are quite versatile, they always look cool and boho, and they give those flip flops a rest. We all know flip flops are sloppy and we should limit them to the poolside and gym shower. They are fungus protectors, not fashion. I think the versatility and effortlessness is what makes gladiators a favored sandal choice. We are going on almost 8 years now, gladiator sandal. You go Glen Coco. Snaps for you! Here are my four different takes on the gladiator for four different types of women. I would wear them all, but it would’t be the first time I have been told “it’s like you’re four different people, Hannah!”
1. Steve Madden “Plato” Sandal, $46.86. These “pop-a-color” sandals are super fresh. I am really fond of the tangerine hue. There is also something about these sandals that reminds me of the salt water sandals I used to wear when I was little, but much more modern and sophisticated. Can we just comment on he name as well… Plato? Get it? Greek philosopher! So fetch.
2. Stuart Weitzman Nappa Leather Gladiator Sandals, $398. These bad boys are daaaarrrrring. I think “gladiator inspired” is too lenient for these sandals – hashtag: Russel Crowe. I used to be afraid of the gladiators that came up so high, but now I think they are supes amaze. I can just see these paired with little bohemian tunic dresses and beachy waves – a spring and summer staple for the boho ladies.
3. Tan Metal Heel Gladiator Sandals, $38. These need a new name, but these are a sophisticated take on the gladiator. Never too much, and very classy, these sandals would be very versatile in any lady’s wardrobe. Also, a tribute to the petite women, these sandals will offer that relaxed bohemian feel, but still offer that little bit of height you lose with flats (your feet will also thank you for the arch support, real flat sandals all day can make your pups bark!)
4. “Cachetta” Metalic Gladiator Sandal, $995. I loved these before I knew they were Louboutins! These are just so luxe and visually interesting. The straps almost mimic bangles for your feet. The gold sheen and the beautiful lines make these gladiator sandals truly remarkable. I do not think I can justify the almost 1k price tag, but I can appreciate the design and visualize possible outfits in my head.
Crosley Radio Cruiser Turntable Turquoise – I have an old record player, but it is finally broken and it was not portable. I like the idea of being able to take my player in tow to the beach! I wanna have a beach blanket bingo! This record player will do perfectly for a faux vintage lifestyle.
“The Cambridge Satchel” – These satchels are iconic. They are to bags what the moleskin is to notebooks. I just want to fill this baby with leather bound journals and calling cards. This mint color is on trend and will be lovely for centuries.
“Take a Dipper Necklace” – I love the little dipper! It’s the constellation that is always easy for me to find. I am a huge fan of dainty pendants. I’d like to rep the Lil’ D on my neck.
In Bonjour Dreams Pillowcase Set– French writing is always fun and chic. I do parle the french, so I like to keep frenchie things around me. These pillows have a great typography charm and they would go with any bed spread set.
“Living Myth Perfect Jewelry Holder” – This ‘jackelope’ creature is very curious to me. I swear they are mythical, but Si Robertson from Duck Dynasty suggests otherwise. I have been loving using little dishes as homes for my jewelry. This one is both pretty and fun – it twill look nice on my dressing table.
Charlotte OLympia Tumbled Suede Sleeping Kitty Loafers – These cat flats are PRI-CAY, but a girl can dream. I love the luxurious velvet and kitty print. It’s the perfect combo of kitch and chic. I really am not a fan of les cats in general, but I like them on clothing and fanny packs – call me cray cray, I don’t give a sheist.
Even though my birthday is still 3 months away, I have compiled some things I would not mind getting when I turn 22. I usually never really think about what I want, then come September, I have no idea what to tell Nana and Gams what I want! Then everyone gets mad at me for being unusually unmaterialistic… Money is always good, but when I receive cash or a check I feel like I need to be responsible and save it for a house or something… Anyways, here is my Birthday Wish List! ENJOY!
1. Dr. Martens in Pastel Purple, $119.95; 2. The New iPad, $499; 3. Who Could Be? Saddle Shoes, $38; 4. Mint to Be Scarf, $18; 5. 90s Metal Insert Glasses, $32; 6. Beach Front View Dress in Green, $128; 7. Naked 2 Palette, $55; 8. Essie Nail Lacquer in Tart Deco, $8; Vulli Sophie (teething giraffe toy), $25
Why I Want These Goodies!?:
1. I love the pastel Dr. Martens because they are such a clunky boot, but with this soft hue they look dainty and cute… but still a little badass! 2. The iPad speaks for itself… so portable and cutting edge. 3. I have been wanting saddle shoes for a while now, I just have yet to find them vintagy enough and in my size. I think these mod cloth ones look super retro and not too pricey. They make me want to go to a sock hop!! 4. I have been loving mint lately – this scarf is such a pretty color and quite whimsical looking. Scarves are always handy pieces to have around – scarves are an easy way to make an outfit more dimensional. 5. These 90s inspired sunglasses are super grunge yet sophisticated. I love the shape of the frames and the decade they inspire. 6. Mint again! I don’t need this dress in particular – I just love pretty dresses that look like Disneyland, and the mint color is just so pretty! 7. The Naked 2 palette: I love my Naked palette and I would not mind having this sequel for cooler tones and more makeup play! 8. Tart Deco was apparently Oprah’s nail polish color of the year. My old roomie, Julia, introduced me! It’s a real crowd pleaser when you adorn your nails with the bright, soft and creamy orange lacquer. 9. I know that Sophie is a teether for babies, but she is just so precious! She reminds me of a toy my older cousin had. I think she would look cute on a bookshelf keeping literature company.
Well that’s it! Happy EARLY B-day to me! Peace and Blessings